Recipe by lazyme
From Bon Appetit, November 1999. I couldn't figure out how to 'trick' the site on the basting sauces. LOL. Basting Sauce 1 is to be used at the beginning of roasting and Basting Sauce 2 is to be used at the end of roasting.
- 16 lbs fresh turkey
- 1 cup coarse salt
- 2 granny smith apples, quartered
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 orange, quartered
Basting Sauce 1
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Basting Sauce 2
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
Sausage and Hazelnut Stuffing
- 1 cup hazelnuts, roasted and skinned
- 1 lb fresh pork sausage
- 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 lb chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons sage
- 1⁄2 lb virginia ham, diced
- 8 cups stale bread, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
- 2 ounces Amaretto
- 1 cup turkey stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Turkey:.
- Rub salt all over turkey, inside and out.
- Cover turkey with cold water and let sit for one hour in the sink (this will get rid of blood and gamey taste).
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix spices with apples.
- Put 1/2 of apple mixture inside turkey under white meat (front).
- Using the other half of apple mixture and quartered orange, stuff under the dark meat (back) inside turkey.
- Prepare basting sauce #1 by heating butter and adding juices and spices.
- Put turkey in roasting pan and add basting sauce.
- Roast, covered with foil, for 2 hours.
- Prepare Stuffing:.
- Put hazelnuts in food processor and chop to medium coarseness.
- In a large skillet, brown pork sausage and drain.
- Add 3 teaspoons of butter to pan and fry chicken until done.
- Saute onions, celery, and sage until translucent.
- Add ham and rest of vegetables in large bowl, adding the pork, chicken and bread, mixing well.
- Add eggs and Amaretto.
- Finally, add turkey stock to moisten.
- Put in baking pan and bake 1 hour at 350 °F.
- Finish Roasting Turkey:.
- Remove foil and roast until internal temperature is 175°F, basting every 15 minutes.
- Prepare #2 basting sauce by heating butter and maple syrup.
- Remove bird from oven when it reaches 175°F.
- Let rest — turkey will continue to cook, reaching 180°F in the next 15 minutes.
- Baste with #2 sauce until all sauce is gone.
- Remove fruit from inside.