Roast Turkey With Fresh Thyme Rub and Maple Glaze
- Heat oven to 325°F Fasten neck skin to back of turkey with skewer. Fold wings across back of turkey so tips are touching.
- On rack in shallow roasting pan, place turkey, breast side up.
- In small bowl, mix thyme, salt, allspice, pepper and oil. Rub thyme mixture over turkey. Tuck legs under band of skin at tail (if present), or tie together with heavy string. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer into turkey so tip is in thickest part of inside thigh and does not touch bone.
- Roast uncovered 1 hour. When turkey begins to turn golden brown, place tent of heavy-duty foil over turkey. Roast 2 hours 30 minutes longer.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave butter on High 45 seconds or until melted. Stir in maple syrup.
- Cut band of skin or remove tie holding legs to allow inside of thighs to cook through. Brush turkey with butter-syrup mixture; roast uncovered 20 to 30 minutes longer, brushing with butter-syrup mixture again after 10 minutes.
- Turkey is done when thermometer reads 180°F and legs move easily when lifted or twisted. Place turkey on warm platter; cover with foil to keep warm. Let stand 15 minutes for easiest carving. Garnish with thyme sprigs, apricot slices and cherries, if desired.