Robin Cowdrey's Note:
The whole shebang - the bread, the stuffing, turkey *and* gravy. I like my stuffing to be a bit on the dry side so put the extra in a oil sprayed open dish and placing in oven for 30 or 40 minutes next to the turkey so that it is a little on the crisp side. That way there is some that is moist (from inside the bird) and some that is crispy. Made this the Christmas after it appeared in the magazine using fresh herbs (about 3 0r 4 times the quantity of dried) and it was a great success. Corn Bread Loaf Roast Turkey With Corn Bread Stuffing Exported from Now You're Cooking - User Friendly Recipe Software Corn Bread Loaf
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 15 lbs turkey
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 2/3 cups buttermilk
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons dried sage
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pan cornbread (13x9 pan)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1TO MAKE CORNBREAD:
- 2In large bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 3In separate bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk and butter, pour over dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- 4Spoon into greased 13-x 9-inch cake pan. Baking this corn bread in a 13- x 9-inch cake pan makes it easy to cut into cubes for turkey s tuffing.
- 5Bake in center of 375°F oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until bread is golden brown on top and tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- 6Let bread cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes. Turn out onto rack and let cool completely. (Loaf can he wrapped in plastic wrap, overwrapped in foil and frozen for up to 1 week; let thaw in refrigerator for 24 hours before using.)
- 7TO MAKE ROAST TURKEY WITH CORNBREAD STUFFING:.
- 8In large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat; cook celery, onions, red and green peppers, garlic, sage, oregano, coriander, chili powder and salt, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until onions are softened.
- 9Meanwhile, cut corn bread into small cubes (you should have about 18 cups); place in large bowl.
- 10Add vegetable mixture; toss to combine. (Stuffing can be prepared to this point, cooled, covered and refrigerated for up to 1 day.) Drizzle with stock, tossing to moisten.
- 11Remove giblets and neck from turkey.
- 12Rinse turkey under cold water; pat dry inside and out. Fill body cavity loosely with stuffing; skewer opening closed.
- 13Repeat with neck cavity; fold neck skin over stuffing and skewer to back.
- 14(wrap remaining stuffing in foil; set aside in refrigerator).
- 15Tie legs together with kitchen string. Twist wings backward under back.
- 16Place turkey, breast side up, on greased rack in roasting pan.
- 17Blend together butter, sage, oregano and pepper; rub over turkey.
- 18Tent loosely with foil, dull side out, leaving sides open.
- 19Roast turkey in 325°F oven, basting every 30 minutes, for 3-1/2 hours.
- 20Remove foil.
- 21Place reserved wrapped stuffing in oven alongside pan.
- 22Roast, basting turkey once or twice and opening packet of stuffing for last 10 minutes of cooking, for 45 to 60 minutes longer or until meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180°F and juices run clear when turkey is pierced.
- 23Transfer to large warmed platter; tent with foil and let stand for 20 minutes before carving.
- 24TO MAKE GRAVY:
- 25Meanwhile, skim off fat in roasting pan. Using wooden spoon, stir flour into pan; cook, stirring, over medium heat for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in stock and wine. Add salt and pepper; bring to boil, stirring to scrape up brown bits from bottom of pan.
- 26Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, for about 5 minutes.
- 27Strain into warmed gravy boat. akes 8 servings (with enough left over for 8 more servings).
- 28TIP: To thaw frozen turkey, let thaw in original wrapper on tray in refrigerator for 5 hours per pound. Or cover turkey (in original wrapper) with cold water, changing water occasionally, for 1 hour per pound.
- 29Contributor: Canadian Living Yield: 8 servings.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Turkey With Cornbread Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (10268 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2001.8
- Calories from Fat 888
- Total Fat 98.7 g
- Saturated Fat 36.3 g
- Cholesterol 742.7 mg
- Sodium 2119.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 13.3 g
- Protein 190.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: