Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
A citrus herb butter adds moisture, flavour and creates a delicious crust.
- 15 lbs whole turkey (fresh or fully defrosted)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup sage
- Season the bird liberally with salt & pepper.
- Instead of trussing the entire bird, secure only the legs together. This will keep the shape of the bird, which is important for presentation and it will keep the stuffing inside the cavity of the turkey.
- Tuck the wings of the turkey underneath to prevent them from burning.
- Place the neck and giblets which are found in a bag inside the cavity of the turkey, in the bottom of the roasting pan. This will add to the flavour of the bird and the gravy.
- Combine butter, orange juice, orange zest, thyme and sage in a bowl and stir with a spoon.
- Rub outside of the bird with butter. Be sure to apply some of the butter under the skin for added flavour.
- Pour remaining juice over the turkey.
- Pour two cups of chicken stock into the bottom of roasting pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 deg.
- Roast turkey in oven for the first hour without opening the door.
- After first hour, baste turkey every 30 minutes during cooking process.
- Turkey should cook 15 minutes per pound.
- If the turkey is browining too quickly during the cooking process, loosely tent the bird with aluminum foil, making sure the foil doesn't touch the top of the skin.