Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
To make this takes all together about 2 hours, including cooking time, so you don't have to get up at the crack of dawn come some holiday morning. A lovely Sunday or company dinner too. From American Bistro Fare with Caprial! New England, French, Mid Atlantic, South
Cornbread and Walnut Stuffing
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 scallions, chopped (or shallots)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup French bread, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornbread, diced
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice, cooked
- 1⁄2-1 cup chicken stock
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped and toasted
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 (4 -5 lb) boneless turkey breast, butterflied (cut almost in half, opened)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- To prepare stuffing:.
- Heat butter in a large saute pan over high heat until very hot.
- Add onion, scallions(or shallots), garlic, and celery, and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add sherry and cook until only about 2 tablespoons of liquid are left, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, place French bread, cornbread, and rice in a large bowl and toss to mix.
- When onion mixture is room temperature, combine with the bread and rice mix.
- Add enough chicken stock to moisten the bread well.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Add the walnuts, thyme, oregano, sage, celery salt, salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- To stuff turkey:.
- Lay out the turkey breast on a cuttin board.
- Spread the stuffing evenly on the turkey to 1/2" from the edge.
- Roll the breast up and tie securely with twine.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan until smoking hot.
- Put in a baking dish and roast in the oven about 35-45 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 155°F.
- Allow to cool 2-3 minutes before removing the twine and slicing.
- Place on a pretty serving platter and enjoy!