Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
This recipe comes from Jamie Oliver - it was on a recipe card I received in the mail when I got his new cookbook! Note: I changed the onions from red to sweet yellow ones.
- 6 kg turkey
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 150 g butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, fresh
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 celery ribs, trimmed
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 sweet yellow onions
- Wash the turkey and pat it dry.
- Cut off the wings, and reserve them.
- Take the edge of the skin covering the turkey's breasts and gently peel it back freeing it from the meat - be careful not to tear it.
- Rub the turkey (outside and inside) with the sea salt, you may need more than 1 tablespoons.
- Chill the bird for 1 or 2 hours or overnight.
- For prepping the turkey for the oven, pat the bird dry (again), and remove any excess salt from the outside of the turkey.
- Combine the butter, orange zest, nutmeg, and remaining 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Scoop this combo into a sandwich bag, squeeze the air out, and snip off the bottom corner.
- Push this cut corner under the loose skin and squeeze out butter, smoothing it out by rubbing the breast.
- Rub any excess butter on the outside of the bird and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Coarsely chop the vegetables and place them in the roasting pan along with the reserved turkey wings.
- If stuffing your bird, place stuffing into the neck end of the bird -- If not - place sliced oranges and some fresh herbs (such as sage and parsley) into the cavity.
- Place the turkey on top of the vegetables and turkey wings in the roasting pan.
- Cover the bird loosely with foil and place the tray into a 350°F oven (180°C/Gas 4).
- For a 6kg turkey, roast 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Remove foil for the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Once roasted, remove the bird to a serving dish and cover with new foil and a tea towel to keep warm while preparing gravy (if desired). It's best to let the turkey rest at least 30 minutes.