Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
Thanksgiving Day instructions posted for Wei...
Make and share this Roast Turkey (a.k.a. "the Bird") recipe from Food.com.
- An 18 lb turkey gives generous leftvers for 7 people (figure 1 1/2 lbs for each person and then some).
- Get a fresh turkey from your butcher- order in advance to be picked up the Wednesday before Turkey Day.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and adjust its racks to accommodate the large bird.
- Working in the sink, open the neck and body cavities to remove the giblets (some people save these for stock, or soup, etc).
- Rinse the turkey with cold water then pat it dry with paper towels (inside and out).
- Rub the inside cavities with some salt and dried sage.
- To expose the breast for even browning, bend the wings of the turkey under the bird- pull the first joint of the wing away from the body of the bird and bend it back under the turkey, do this on each side and you will have formed a natural rack on which he turkey will rest while roasting.
- Insert the stuffing into the two cavities of the bird (really pack it in there).
- Many turkeys come with a flap of skin, which you can use to hold the legs together at their end- if not, simply tie the ends of the turkeys legs together with a piece of string (if you dont do either the world will not end and the taste of your turkey will no be affected).
- Brush with melted butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Lay bacon strips over the breasts.
- Bake for 4 1/2- 5 hours, basting frequently (every 20-30 minutes)- the turkey is done when he juices of the thigh run clear (not pink) and/or when the thigh is pierced by a fork or small knife.