Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Anchovies have a bit of a bad reputation, but I like them and think they add something special to what might otherwise be a rather ordinary salad.
- 6 medium ripe tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 anchovy fillets, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, about
- Heat your oven to 200 degrees C.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and place them, cut side up, in a roasting dish.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the tomatoes get soft and collapse.
- Meanwhile, crush the garlic, anchovies, basil, and a bit of salt and pepper together with the olive oil.
- Ideally, you want to use a pestle and mortar, although a food processor will do.
- When you take the tomatoes out of the oven, pour over the dressing and serve while still warm, with some good bread to mop up the juices.
Well, I love anchovies Friedel, and I loved this recipe. It's simple, the ingredients are always on hand, and the taste was terrific. We used the mortar and pestle and had the bread on hand as advised! What a treat.