Recipe by Vaguely Vegan
This is a recipe from a "Canadian Living" magazine. It was titled "Roast Chicken Fajitas" but I don't eat meat so I changed the title!! If you make it without the meat - it's a very healthy vegetarian meal. If you make it without the meat/dairy - it's a very delicious vegan meal. I like my food "spicy" so I increase the chili powder & cumin.
- 1⁄2 lb extra firm tofu or 1⁄2 lb flavoured tofu (tangy thai works well) or 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 large onions, cut into wedges
- 2 large sweet red peppers, seeded and cut into wide strips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F Cut tofu into wedges or cut chicken up into 1-inch strips.
- In a medium bowl, toss tofu/chicken with half the oil, the lime juice, chili powder and cumin.
- Set aside.
- In a large shallow baking pan, stir together onions and peppers.
- Drizzle with remaining oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Stir in tofu/chicken mixture; spread out in the baking pan.
- Roast, uncovered, for about 20-25 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- About 10 minutes before the roasted vegetables are ready, wrap tortillas tightly in foil and place in oven to heat.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the roasted vegetables to a warm serving platter; unwrap tortillas.
- Put lettuce, avocados, salsa and sour cream in separate serving bowls.
- Have each diner spoon some of the roasted vegetable mixture onto a tortilla, top with lettuce, avocado, salsa and sour cream to taste; roll to eat up.