Recipe by English_Rose
A family meal all cooked in one roasting tray. The chicken requires no maintenance once it is in the oven as the tarragon butter under the skin bastes the meat as it cooks, keeping it moist and succulent.
- 2 ounces butter, softened
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 chicken
- 1 lemon
- 1 lb new potato, medium-large ones
- 9 ounces baby carrots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the butter, garlic and tarragon in a small bowl, add seasoning and mix together.
- Prepare the chicken. Using your hands, and starting from the neck end of the bird, carefully loosen the skin around the chicken breasts.
- Spread the tarragon butter all over the breasts and pull the skin back down tightly.
- Cut the lemon in half and put both pieces in the cavity of the chicken. Place the bird in a large roasting tin.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Wash the potatoes, cut them in half and parboil them in salted water for 5 minutes Drain the potatoes and arrange around the chicken with the carrots. Drizzle with the oil, season and cook the chicken and vegetables for 30 mins on the middle shelf of the oven.
- Trim and wash the leeks and cut them into large chunks. Add to the roasting tin, baste with the pan juices and cook for a further 30-40 mins, until the chicken is cooked and the vegetables are tender.
- Carve the chicken into thick slices and serve immediately with the roasted veegtables and with the pan juices poured over.