Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
The goat variety! Originally from theodora Fitzgibbon's 1963 book "Game Cooking". Cooking times are guesses.
- 5 kg goat meat (ie 1 goat kid)
- 500 g cooking apples
- 6 garlic cloves
- 60 g butter
- 285 ml cider
- streaky bacon, rashers to taste
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- clove, to taste
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- olive oil, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Squeeze the lemon juice inside the prepared kid and insert the lemon peel as well.
- Peel and core the apples, wrap them in bacon rashers and stick a clove in each.
- Stuff the kid with the apples and use skewers to keep them inches.
- Insert the cloves of garlic into the legs and rub the entire animal with the ginger, salt and pepper together.
- Put in a roasting pan with the butter and some olive oil and roast at a low temperature for 30 minutes per kilogram, basting frequently.
- When it is cooked, remove the kid to a warm dish to rest, pour off the surplus fat and add the cider to the essence.
- boil rapidly on the stovetop until reduced by half.