Recipe by C Chatwin
Beautiful and delicious, this incredibly moist roasted Chicken puts Kenny Roger's Roasters, Boston Market, and other rotisserie style chickens to shame! Please don't let the word "overnight" mislead you; for actual hands-on preparation, this is a Quick-N-Easy way to impress Sunday dinner guests!
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large roasting chicken
- 2 large onions, peeled and quartered
Directions See How It's Made
- (Day 1) Blend all spices together and set aside.
- Remove neck and giblets from chicken cavity, rinse well inside and out, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Rub with spice mixture, both inside and out, then stuff cavity with onions.
- Wrap in a resealable"food grade" plastic bag (I just use a new, unscented, white kitchen can liner.), tie closed, and refrigerate overnight.
- (Day 2) Remove from plastic bag and place in a shallow baking pan.
- Roast uncovered in a 250 F oven 5 hours.
- (This is not an error, I repeat, 250 F for 5 hours!) If the chicken contains a pop-up thermometer, ignore it.
- This recipe is SAFE.
- According to the United States Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service, a whole chicken should reach an internal temperature of 180 F.
- For more info check out their"Thermy" campign Web site! http://www.fsis.usda.gov/thermy/index.htm
- Baste with drippings every 30 minutes after the first hour.
- (I admit I'm not consistent on this point, but it still comes out wonderful!) Let rest for 10 minutes before carving.