Cook5 hrs 10 mins
Beautiful and delicious, this incredibly moist roasted Chicken puts Kenny Roger's Roasters, Boston Market, and other rotisserie style chickens to shame! Please don't let the word "overnight" mislead you; for actual hands-on preparation, this is a Quick-N-Easy way to impress Sunday dinner guests!
- (Day 1) Blend all spices together and set aside.
- Remove neck and giblets from chicken cavity, rinse well inside and out, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Rub with spice mixture, both inside and out, then stuff cavity with onions.
- Wrap in a resealable"food grade" plastic bag (I just use a new, unscented, white kitchen can liner.), tie closed, and refrigerate overnight.
- (Day 2) Remove from plastic bag and place in a shallow baking pan.
- Roast uncovered in a 250 F oven 5 hours.
- (This is not an error, I repeat, 250 F for 5 hours!) If the chicken contains a pop-up thermometer, ignore it.
- This recipe is SAFE.
- According to the United States Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service, a whole chicken should reach an internal temperature of 180 F.
- For more info check out their"Thermy" campign Web site! http://www.fsis.usda.gov/thermy/index.htm
- Baste with drippings every 30 minutes after the first hour.
- (I admit I'm not consistent on this point, but it still comes out wonderful!) Let rest for 10 minutes before carving.