1/2 Photos of Roast Skate With Malted, Caramelized Garlic Sauce
Skate is a lovely ray type fish. This is a quick simple way to prepare it that comes out very tasty and looks very nice plated up. Since Skate's something not everyone knows how to make you'll impress people. I read online that skate improves when left to stand refrigerated for a day or two. As it matures, the flesh becomes firmer and more palatable. When purchased, it has usually been aged slightly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- 2To make the sauce take a small saucepan and fry the garlic in 3 tbsp of olive oil until it is dark nutty brown in colour.
- 3Add the vinegar and a pinch of paprika.
- 4Bring to the boil and reduce by half.
- 5Season well with salt & pepper and remove from heat.
- 6Drizzle the remaining olive oil into the pan to cover the bottom of large oven safe pan and heat on the stove top until very hot (I like to use cast iron).
- 7Season the skate with salt & pepper on both sides.
- 8Turn off the heat and slide in the skate, being careful of oil splatter.
- 9Put the skate into the oven for about 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- 10Remove and serve immediately with the warmed sauce spooned over the fish and a sprinkling of paprika.
- 11Note that you can make the sauce while you do the skate but you should start the sauce first (when you start preheating the oven would work well) since the garlic takes a while to caramelize without burning.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Skate With Malted, Caramelized Garlic Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (64 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 312.1
- Calories from Fat 304
- Total Fat 33.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 0.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: