Prep 4 hrs
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This rub adds a wonderful flavor to the roast and the gravy is to die for. My kids aren't huge fans of roasts but they did like this one. I cooked a 5 lb roast and cut back on the garlic a bit, but left the amounts for the other ingredients the same. I cooked the roast at 500 degrees for 20 min and the remainder at 350 degrees for approx. 30 min. Serving size is dependant on how big of eaters you have...children vs adults
- 8 lbs sirloin tip roast
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (I used a grainy Dijon with wine)
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 cups beef stock (I used Campbell's Sodium Reduced)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Score fat on top of roast.
- Combine flour oil, mustards, garlic, black pepper and salt.
- Rub over roast and marinate 1-4 hours Preheat oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C) Place roast on a rack in roasting pan Roast for 30 minutes Reduce heat to 350 degrees and roast another 45 min or until instant- read thermometer reads 120 F for rare or 140 F for medium rare.
- Let rest for 15 minutes while making the gravy Gravy. Drain fat from pan, leaving 1 tbsp.
- Stir flour into the pan and cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Add drippings, beef stock and tomato paste and bring to boil. Simmer for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- (If you like your gravy a little thicker mix 1 tbsp cornstarch with cold water to form running paste and stir into gravy until thickens) Season to taste.
Did not use sirloin but eye of round. Rub was excellent and cooking times vary with size of roast. Used probe thermaometer
I have had problems in the past with my roasts drying out and being kind of bland, but this was delicious! The crust was just crispy enough and kept all the juices in. I didn't have dry mustard or dijon, so I just used regular yellow mustard, which worked fine! The gravy was okay, I didn't think the roast really needed it.
Absolutely delicious! This roast turned out to be juicy and flavourful. The mustard created a wonderful crust on the outside. One of the best roasts I've ever had. Thanks!