Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I got this recipe from family friend Mrs. Fenton - I'm not sure where she got it, but they've had it in their family for a very long time and it's an old long-standing tradition in their house. They always eat it with their pork roast, but it went well on lots of different meats. Very tasty!
- 8 quarts chopped apples, peeled
- 8 quarts chopped tomatoes, peeled
- 8 medium onions, chopped
- 8 large green chopped bell peppers
- 6 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups vinegar (dark cider)
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- Cook over medium heat till thick at least a couple of hours.
- Ladle into HOT jars, cover with new lids and cold pack pints for 15 minutes.
Excellent on pot roast or even on scrambled eggs. I grew up on this sauce, my mother was Mrs. Fenton and her mother gave her the original recipe from the depression era. I was quite surprised to see this posted but so happy it's been shared with others!