Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Found the original recipe on a product site. Made a few changes and it ended up pretty darn good. I grew up eating pureed rutabaga, but a few years ago discovered the joy of roasting it. Roasting rutabaga concentrates and highlights it's natural sweetness. In this recipe I season the rutabaga which also highlights the sweetness. I also add a tablespoon of sugar, which actually has little effect on the sweetness but encourages browning.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel rutabaga and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Place rutabaga cubes in a large mixing bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover bowl with a plate and shake to coat rutabaga with oil.(You may need a bit more oil.).
- Sprinkle rutabaga with remaining ingredients and shake again distribute.
- Transfer rutabaga to a parchment-lined or non-stick baking sheet.
- Roast in center of the oven until edges brown and rutabaga is tender - 40 to 50 minutes - stirring about halfway through to minimize sticking. (Note: It may take longer depending on the size of the rutabaga. You know they are ready when you can stick a fork all the way in with little resistance.).
This was my first time making rutabaga. I used all the herbs and it was ok, but it was undercooked. Rutabaga is very, VERY dense and it took over 1 hour to get it to soften, even then it was still crunchy. Maybe perfect the cooking time, and I'll make it again and re-review hopefully with higher marks.