Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A nice lamb recipe that can be prepared 1 day ahead of time. Then it only roasts for about 1/2 hour. I usually double the sauce which is really yummy. This is a nice romantic dinner entree From Bon Appetit Every-Night Cooking.
- 6 medium shallots
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled (1/2 stick)
- 1 1⁄4 cups madeira wine
- 1 tablespoon green peppercorns in brine, drained, coarsely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 lbs racks of lamb, trimmed
- Finely chop 2 medium shallots. Melt 1 tablespoon unsalted butter in heavy small saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped shallots and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add Madeira and green peppercorns. Boil uncovered until mixture is reduced to 2/3 cup, about 12 minutes. Remove sauce from heat.
- Arrange trimmed racks of lamb on rimmed baking sheet. Cut remaining 4 medium shallots in half and push through garlic press. Coat lamb with pressed shallots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover sauce and lamb separately and refrigerate.).
- Preheat oven to 400°F Roast lamb 25 minutes. Increase heat to 500°F and continue to roast until lamb browns and meat thermometer inserted into center of lamb registers 130°F, about 5 minutes longer. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Bring peppercorn sauce to simmer. Whisk in remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cut lamb between ribs into chops. Arrange lamb chops on plates. Spoon peppercorn sauce around lamb and serve immediately.
- This sauce would also work with thick pork chops (with bones); make sure they reach an internal temperature of 150ºF for food safety.
- Note that the sauce and lamb can be prepared eight hours ahead. The lamb needs to roast for just 30 minutes before serving.
This was a really easy and really flavorful rack of lamb recipe. The taste of the shallot and madeira really came through in the finished product. I liked that the recipe required really minimal prep. We served with mashed potatoes to soak up the sauce and Roasted Broccoli With Garlic and Red Pepper 352373, which complimented the dish nicely. Thanks!