Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A nice lamb recipe that can be prepared 1 day ahead of time. Then it only roasts for about 1/2 hour. I usually double the sauce which is really yummy. This is a nice romantic dinner entree From Bon Appetit Every-Night Cooking.
- Finely chop 2 medium shallots. Melt 1 tablespoon unsalted butter in heavy small saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped shallots and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add Madeira and green peppercorns. Boil uncovered until mixture is reduced to 2/3 cup, about 12 minutes. Remove sauce from heat.
- Arrange trimmed racks of lamb on rimmed baking sheet. Cut remaining 4 medium shallots in half and push through garlic press. Coat lamb with pressed shallots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover sauce and lamb separately and refrigerate.).
- Preheat oven to 400°F Roast lamb 25 minutes. Increase heat to 500°F and continue to roast until lamb browns and meat thermometer inserted into center of lamb registers 130°F, about 5 minutes longer. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Bring peppercorn sauce to simmer. Whisk in remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cut lamb between ribs into chops. Arrange lamb chops on plates. Spoon peppercorn sauce around lamb and serve immediately.
- This sauce would also work with thick pork chops (with bones); make sure they reach an internal temperature of 150ºF for food safety.
- Note that the sauce and lamb can be prepared eight hours ahead. The lamb needs to roast for just 30 minutes before serving.