A nice lamb recipe that can be prepared 1 day ahead of time. Then it only roasts for about 1/2 hour. I usually double the sauce which is really yummy. This is a nice romantic dinner entree From Bon Appetit Every-Night Cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Finely chop 2 medium shallots. Melt 1 tablespoon unsalted butter in heavy small saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped shallots and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add Madeira and green peppercorns. Boil uncovered until mixture is reduced to 2/3 cup, about 12 minutes. Remove sauce from heat.
- 2Arrange trimmed racks of lamb on rimmed baking sheet. Cut remaining 4 medium shallots in half and push through garlic press. Coat lamb with pressed shallots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover sauce and lamb separately and refrigerate.).
- 3Preheat oven to 400°F Roast lamb 25 minutes. Increase heat to 500°F and continue to roast until lamb browns and meat thermometer inserted into center of lamb registers 130°F, about 5 minutes longer. Let stand 5 minutes.
- 4Bring peppercorn sauce to simmer. Whisk in remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cut lamb between ribs into chops. Arrange lamb chops on plates. Spoon peppercorn sauce around lamb and serve immediately.
- 6This sauce would also work with thick pork chops (with bones); make sure they reach an internal temperature of 150ºF for food safety.
- 8Note that the sauce and lamb can be prepared eight hours ahead. The lamb needs to roast for just 30 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Rack of Lamb With Madeira-Peppercorn Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (394 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1156.3
- Calories from Fat 903
- Total Fat 100.3 g
- Saturated Fat 52.6 g
- Cholesterol 260.3 mg
- Sodium 120.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 42.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green peppercorns in brine