2 hrs 10 mins
If you're looking for THE recipe to make for your next roast beef dinner - this is it! I love the peppery crust on this. Make sure you check out the recipe for Rosemary Popovers that are so good made with the beef drippings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 lbs standing rib roast (4 ribs, trimmed)
- 2 teaspoons allspice berries, crushed
- 3 tablespoons pink peppercorns, crushed lightly
- 3 tablespoons freeze-dried green peppercorns, crushed lightly
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1Let rib roast stand at room temperature 1 hour.
- 2Preheat oven to 500°F.
- 3Make crust: In a small bowl combine all crust ingredients, stirring to form a paste.
- 4Pat beef dry and season.
- 5In a pan, roast beef, ribs side down, 30 minutes.
- 6Transfer beef to a platter.
- 7(if you are making Rosemary Popovers to accompany the roast – the recipe is in My Recipes – then save 5 tablespoons of drippings and then discard the rest).
- 8Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- 9Return beef to roasting pan, ribs side down, and spread with peppercorn paste.
- 10Roast beef 1 – 1 ¼ hours longer, or until a meat thermometer registers 135F for medium-rare.
- 11Transfer to a cutting board.
- 12Let stand, covered loosely, at least 20 minutes and up to 30 minutes before carving.
- 13Make sauce: Skim fat from drippings in roasting pan.
- 14Add wine and deglaze over moderately-high heat, scraping up browned bits.
- 15Boil until reduced by about half and transfer to a saucepan.
- 16Add broth and boil 5 minutes.
- 17In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in Worcestershire Sauce and water and add to saucepan in a stream, whisking.
- 18Bring to a boil, whisking, and boil 1 minute.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Prime Rib of Beef With Pink and Green Peppercorn Crust
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1590.3
- Calories from Fat 1240
- Total Fat 137.8 g
- Saturated Fat 57.6 g
- Cholesterol 338.2 mg
- Sodium 893.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 73.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
standing rib roast