Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
The secret to perfect crackling is salt, oil and heat. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees centigrade and to make sure that the oil and salt is rubbed well into the scores in the rind. Cook the pork for 20 minutes at high heat before turning down the oven temperature.
- 1 1⁄2 kg unrolled boneless pork loin, scored rind
- 1 tablespoon rinsed capers, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees centigrade.
- Combine capers, lemon rinf, thyme, parsley and 1 Tbs oil.
- Rub all mixture into underside of pork.
- Roll up pork and secure with cotton string.
- Rub pork rind with the remaining oil and salt, ensuring to rub salt well into the score in the rind.
- Place the pork on an elevated rack in a baking dish and into a preheated oven to let the clock do the work.
- Cook for 20 minutes then reduce heat to 180 degrees centigrade and cook for a further hour, or to your liking.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- There is no need to cover a roast with crackling while it rests.
- Serve with roasted vegetables.
A delicious way to prepare pork
Fantastic! Made this for our Christmas lunch this year and it turned out perfectly. A great combination of flavours, definitely one I will be making again.