I did my best to pattern this recipe after a delicious dish that I had at a hotel in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. The chef was very secretive but the waiter was more than willing to whisper a lot of tips in my ear! (It was he that got the big tip!) I always brine pork (all cuts) before I prepare it but that is a personal choice. If you want to brine, there is a good basic brine recipe on this site. If you brine, start this recipe 2 days before serving. The process to brine and marinade only takes a few minutes each, so this is not as time consumming as it may seem. Remember to rinse the pork well after taking it out of the brine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt (use 2 t. if you don't brine first)
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 lbs center cut pork roast
- 3 cups ruby port
- 1/4 cup chopped shallot
- 1 3/4 cups beef stock
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1Brine pork. Rinse. (optional).
- 3Mix first 4 ingredients and 1/2 cup of brown sugar in a small bowl.
- 4Rub spice mixture over pork.
- 5Place in large glass baking dish, cover, refrigerate overnight.
- 6Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Transfer roast to roasting pan. Reserve juices in the glass dish.
- 7Roast the pork until the internal temp reaches 155 degrees; about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Baste with pan juices every 30 minutes. Don't overcook.
- 8Let pork rest at least 10 minutes before slicing.
- 9Meanwhile: Make the CHIPOTLE-GLAZED APPLES.
- 10Line baking sheet with waxed paper.
- 11Mix sugar and cinnamon in med. bowl.
- 12Mix 1/4 apple slices with cinnamon-sugar mixture to coat.
- 13Heat 1 T. oil with 1 T. chipotle chilies in a heavy skillet over med-high heat.
- 14Add coated apple slices.
- 15Cook until coating caramelizes and apple slices are heated through, turning often, about 4 minutes.
- 16Transfer to baking sheet and repeat with remaining apples using 1 T. oil and 1 T. chipotles in remaining batches.
- 17Keep warm until serving time.
- 18Now for the PORT JUS:.
- 19Combine Port, shallots and remaining 1 T. brown sugar in a heavy saucepan.
- 20Boil until syrupy, about 25 minutes.
- 21Add both stocks and thyme.
- 22Boil until reduced to 1 1/4 cups, about 30- 45 minutes.
- 23Strain sauce in fine-mesh strainer.
- 24Return to saucepan.
- 25Mix any pan drippings from the pork roast into the sauce (don't scrape the bottom of the roasting pan).
- 26Add butter, whisk until melted.
- 27Season with salt and pepper.
- 28SERVING THE PLATE:.
- 29Cut pork into 1/4" slices.
- 30Divide among 6 plates.
- 31Spoon Chipotle-Apples alongside the pork.
- 32Spoon sauce over and around pork slices.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Pork With Chipotle-Glazed Apples
Serving Size: 1 (674 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 877.1
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 160.2 mg
- Sodium 899.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 56.6 g
- Protein 53.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: