Recipe by CaribbeanQueen
I did my best to pattern this recipe after a delicious dish that I had at a hotel in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. The chef was very secretive but the waiter was more than willing to whisper a lot of tips in my ear! (It was he that got the big tip!) I always brine pork (all cuts) before I prepare it but that is a personal choice. If you want to brine, there is a good basic brine recipe on this site. If you brine, start this recipe 2 days before serving. The process to brine and marinade only takes a few minutes each, so this is not as time consumming as it may seem. Remember to rinse the pork well after taking it out of the brine.
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt (use 2 t. if you don't brine first)
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 lbs center cut pork roast
- 3 cups ruby port
- 1⁄4 cup chopped shallot
- 1 3⁄4 cups beef stock
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 4 medium granny smith apples, cored, peeled, sliced
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons chipotle chiles, with sauce from a can, minced (chilies to personal taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brine pork. Rinse. (optional).
- Mix first 4 ingredients and 1/2 cup of brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Rub spice mixture over pork.
- Place in large glass baking dish, cover, refrigerate overnight.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Transfer roast to roasting pan. Reserve juices in the glass dish.
- Roast the pork until the internal temp reaches 155 degrees; about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Baste with pan juices every 30 minutes. Don't overcook.
- Let pork rest at least 10 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile: Make the CHIPOTLE-GLAZED APPLES.
- Line baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in med. bowl.
- Mix 1/4 apple slices with cinnamon-sugar mixture to coat.
- Heat 1 T. oil with 1 T. chipotle chilies in a heavy skillet over med-high heat.
- Add coated apple slices.
- Cook until coating caramelizes and apple slices are heated through, turning often, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer to baking sheet and repeat with remaining apples using 1 T. oil and 1 T. chipotles in remaining batches.
- Keep warm until serving time.
- Now for the PORT JUS:.
- Combine Port, shallots and remaining 1 T. brown sugar in a heavy saucepan.
- Boil until syrupy, about 25 minutes.
- Add both stocks and thyme.
- Boil until reduced to 1 1/4 cups, about 30- 45 minutes.
- Strain sauce in fine-mesh strainer.
- Return to saucepan.
- Mix any pan drippings from the pork roast into the sauce (don't scrape the bottom of the roasting pan).
- Add butter, whisk until melted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- SERVING THE PLATE:.
- Cut pork into 1/4" slices.
- Divide among 6 plates.
- Spoon Chipotle-Apples alongside the pork.
- Spoon sauce over and around pork slices.