Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Orginally adopted, and a very good recipe.
- 6 ounces long grain and wild rice blend
- 1⁄2 cup water, boiling
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 2 green onions, finely
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, chopped fresh
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons pecans, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash red pepper
- 5 lbs boneless pork loin roast
- 2 slices bacon
- Cook rice according to package directions. Set aside.
- Pour boiling water over apricots; let stand 20 minutes to soften. Drain.
- Saute green onions, mushrooms, and green pepper in butter until tender.
- Stir in rice, apricots, pecans, parsley, and seasonings.
- Remove strings and slice roast in half lengthwise, if not purchased sliced.
- Slice pork pieces lengthwise in half again, slicing to but not through one side.
- Lay pieces side by side, and spoon stuffing mixture evenly over pork.
- Beginning with 1 long side, roll pork jellyroll fashion, and tie securely with heavy string at 2 inch intervals.
- Place roast on a lightly greased rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Place bacon lengthwise over roast.
- Insert meat thermometer into thickest part of roast, making sure it does not touch fat or stuffing.
- Place an aluminum foil tent over roast.
- Bake at 325F for 3 hours or until meat thermometer registers 160F (30-35 minutes per pound).
- Remove foil for the last 30-40 minutes of baking.
- Remove roast from oven; let stand 5 minutes.
- Remove string; slice and garnish with apricot halves and parsley, if desired.