Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
A delicious roast that can be served without the guavas (they do add great color and are quite tasty). The pork should be marinated for at least 12 hours so save this for a special occasion. From Bon Appetite Magazine.
Pickled Caramelized Guavas
- 3 lbs fresh guavas, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine
- 6 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons golden brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 15 whole black peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- 9 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup beef broth (or more)
- 1⁄4 sour orange juice or 1⁄4 lime juice
- 5 1⁄2 lbs bone-in pork loin roast
- For pickled caramelized guavas:
- Bring all ingredients to boil in heavy large saucepan. Reduce heat to medium low, simmer until almost all liquid evaporates, stirring often, about 30 minutes. (Can be made 2 days ahead). Cover. Chill. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- For Pork: Place garlic, salt, oregano, cumin and black pepper in mortar; mash into paste with pestle. Stir in 1/2 cup broth and juice. Transfer marinade to large resealable plastic bag. Add pork and refrigerate 12-14 hours, turning occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Transfer pork and marinade to large roasting pan. Roast until thermometer inserted into center registers 145 F basting occasionally with pan juices and adding more broth by 1/4 cupfuls if dry, about 1 hour 45 minutes.
- Transfer pork to platter, let stand 20 minutes before serving. Slice pork and serve with wjuices and guavas alongside.