Recipe by Lene
A pork roast is always a holiday favourite. I recommend drinking something special with it, like a chilled sparkling shiraz.
- 1 1⁄2 kg boneless pork loin, rind scored
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 granny smith apples
- 12 small onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees centigrade.
- Rub the pork rind with the oil, then rub salt generously into both rind and the scores.
- Elevate pork on a rack in a baking dish.
- Roast the pork for 25- 30 minutes or until the rind begins to crackle.
- Reduce heat to 180 degrees and cook for a further 45- 50 minutes minutes.
- Placed the halved apples and onions in a baking dish.
- Place a small amount of butter on apples, drizzle apples and onions with balsamic vinegar, sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake the apples in the oven with the pork for 35 minutes.
- Spoon liquid from baking tray over apples 1-2 times.
- Remove pork from oven and rest for 10 minutes.
- Add the water to apples in baking dish and continue to cook apples and onions for the final 10 minutes (while the pork rests), spooning liquid over apples and onions to help caramelising.
- Serve with your favourite vegetables.