Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe comes from 'The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook' by Gloria Bley Miller at the request of a Zaar member.
- Soak dried mushrooms.
- Shred roast pork, Chinese cabbage stems, bamboo shoots, and soaked mushrooms.
- Slice water chestnuts thin.
- Heat oil.
- Add vegetables and pork; stir fry 1 minute.
- Then cook, covered, 1 to 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Drain and let cool.
- Beat eggs.
- Stir in salt, sugar and stir fried ingredients.
- Heat remaining oil.
- Fry mixture as small omelets, or divide mixture in half and pan fry as 2 separate large omelets.
- Turn over to brown each side.
- NOTE: This omelet is sometimes called Subgum Egg Foo Yung because of its many and varied ingredients.
- For the bamboo shoots, substitute 1 cup bean sprouts, blanched.
- For the Chinese cabbage, substitute celery, blanched.
- In step 3, add with vegetables and pork 1 slice fresh ginger root, minced; 6 scallion stalks, slivered; and 1/4 cup smoked ham, shredded.