Recipe by PinkCherryBlossom
Simple little patties which make great simple lunches or lunch box fillers.
Top Review by justcallmetoni
A full-fledged fan of polenta I am always on the hunt for new ways to incorporate it into my menu. Found this recipe using the random recipe button and figured it was destiny. The dish was very easy to prepare and just delicious. I loved the contrast between the slightly crispy exterior and the creamy center laced with all sorts of tasty bits. As for my preparation, it was vegan (and WW Core) using both soymilk and soy cheese. Milk instead of water makes for a great result in this or any other polenta dish. I also used a mix of peppers -- red, orange and green -- as I had a bunch of halves leftover from another meal. A tip for those trying this recipe; the polenta cooks quickly so have your additions prepared before starting to cook. I served this for lunch with Recipe #84025 as a side of chunky tomato sauce. One of the ways I know I loved a recipe is that I immediately begin thinking about variations that allow me to enjoy the best qualities of the dish while changing the flavors a bit. Here, I'm thinking fresh oregano instead of basil served with a black bean and corn relish or maybe a chunky salsa would be great; or provolone cheese with a tomato sauce with artichokes and/or olives. The ideas are just spinning and I'm looking forward to making it again. Thanks PCB!
- 275 ml skim milk
- 110 g cornmeal polenta
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 50 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 red peppers
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the peppers and remove the seeds. Grill until cooked and peel off the skin. Chop the pepper into a small dice.
- Bring the milk to a simmer in a small pan.
- Add the polenta and garlic and stir until thickened, once thick add the cheese and stir.
- Remove pan from the heat and cool a little before adding the diced pepper and basil and mixing.
- Divide the mix into eight and form into patties.
- Fry in the olive oil for 3 mins each side.