Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Use pears that are fairly firm to allow them to cook and absorb the buttery juices without becoming too soft. From Leith's recipe of the day.
- 4 pears, peeled, quartered and cored
- 55 g butter, diced
- 55 g soft light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 85 g pecan nuts
- 2 tablespoons calvados
- 3 tablespoons double cream
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350Fgas mark 4.
- Put the pears into a roasting pan and cover with the butter, sugar and apple juice.
- Put the roasting pan into the centre of the oven and roast for 20 minutes, basting occasionally. Add the pecans and Calvados and continue to cook for a further 10 - 15 minutes or until the pears are tender and the butter and sugar caramelised.
- Remove the pears from the pan and keep warm. Add the double cream to the sauce and stir until well mixed together. If the sauce looks as though it might curdle, add a tablespoon or two of very cold water and stir into the sauce until it is thick and shiny.
- Divide the pears between four serving plates or bowls and pour the warm butterscotch sauce over them.
- Serve immediately with a good quality vanilla ice cream.