Cook4 hrs 30 mins
This is what I cook when I want to pull out all the stops and impress people. It's easy but tastes like something you'd get at a 5-star restaurant. I double all the ingredients for added flavor, sometimes tripling the garlic. From Bon Appetit, December 2000.
- With machine running, drop garlic into processor; blend until finely chopped.
- Add sage, thyme, oil, salt and pepper; process until paste forms.
- Pat meat dry with paper towels.
- Rub meat all over with herb paste.
- Cover; chill at least 3 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.).
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Place meat, fat side up, on rack in roasting pan.
- Roast meat 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F
- Roast meat until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of meat registers 130°F for medium-rare, about 35 minutes (or 140°F for medium, about 40 minutes).
- Remove from oven; let stand 20 minutes.
- Cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices.
- Arrange slices on platter.