Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, Chopped, 1 Md
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon savory or 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup catsup or 1⁄2 cup chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon parsley, Snipped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, Packed
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all the ingredients except the catsup and brown sugar together.
- Press the mixture firmly in an ungreased loaf pan 8 1/2 X 4 1/2 X 2 1/2-inches.
- Loosen the edge with a spatula and unmold the loaf in an ungreased baking pan 13 X 9 X 2-inches.
- Mix the catsup and sugar then spoon onto the loaf.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- Remove the meat loaf to a plate and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Then slice and serve on a heated platter.
- NOTE: If you don't have a pan this size, just form the mixture into a loaf in the large baking pan.
- VARIATION: Roast Meat Loaf Ring: Press the meat mixture firmly into an ungreased 5 to 6 cup ring mold.
- Unmold in the baking pan by rapping mold against the bottom of the larger pan.
- Brush with the catsup mixture.
- Bake for about 50 minutes.
- If you desire, the hole in the ring can be filled with hot potato salad or creamed peas.
This was very good. It is a firm meat loaf, so it is great for leftover sandwiches. I will add more salt and spice it up a little more next time, but it's a good, traditional meat loaf.
This is an excellent recipe, the family loved it.