Recipe by EmJoMay
This is my mom's answer for tough meats! As a student on a budget I can definitely appreciate this one. ;) For the meat, get a cut of meat or a roast that’s tough to cook on it’s own. These are usually discounted, often under 2 dollars per pound. As for the soup, buy one of those boxes that contain prepackaged soup mixes with 2 pouches in each box. Use both the pouches; 3oz is a guestimation. Serve this with potatoes, carrots, whatever is in the fridge. If you want to cook the veggies with the meat, then make sure to leave over an hour for them to cook. Also, the amounts are approximate, so use your best judgement.
- 3 lbs meat (see above)
- 2 onions, chopped in quarters
- 3 ounces packaged onion soup mix (see above)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 2 1⁄2 cups meat drippings
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the meat in a crock pot.
- Add the onions.
- Sprinkle onion soup mix over the top.
- Put on the lid and cook on low for 10 hours. The meat will become very very tender.
- Once the meat is cooked, spoon out the juice into a separate bowl. The amounts given are for 2-3 cups of juice, but if you have more, then increase the amounts as needed.
- Skim the fat off the top of the juice.
- In another bowl, mix cornstarch with cold water and let it dissolve.
- Stir the reserved juice in a pot, heating it.
- Slowly add the cornstarch and water to the pot while stirring constantly.
- Cook until thickened at med heat. It will start to bubble after 5 min, which means it's ready.
- To Serve:.
- Remove meat from pot and place on serving platter.
- Put the gravy in gravy boat or on top of the meat and serve.