Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Based off a French recipe for roast venison leg (Gigot de Chevreuil Roti). Easy to make and fairly quick (other than the marinating time) depending on the size of your venison loin. Also works for elk or other game.
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs venison loin (can be larger depending on what you have)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 4 tablespoons red wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbsp water
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Marinate venison loin with 2 cups red wine and 2 tbsp vegetable oil. Several days is optimal, but a few hours is fine.
- Remove venison from marinade and dry. Reserve the marinade. Rub with 1 tbsp vegetable oil, wrap tightly in foil, and roast at 350 for 20 minutes per pound of meat.
- 15 minutes before the end of cooking, remove venison from oven, unwrap, sprinkle with flour, baste with cooking liquid,re-wrap, and place back in the oven.
- Meanwhile, combine marinade with stock, then boil. Zest the orange and lemon into the sauce, then juice the orange and add to the sauce. Add the raspberry jam to the sauce. Add 4 tbsp red wine to the sauce. Simmer until reduced by half.
- When meat is done, remove and let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, add cornstarch mixture and vinegar to sauce and cook to thicken.
- Slice meat and spoon sauce over meat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with roasted or mashed potatoes.