Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a dish we eat once or twice a month. For a change, you can cook sliced potatoes and sauteed onions in stock under the lamb. They get all those yummy garlicky juices dripping on to them.
- 4 1⁄2 lbs leg of lamb
- 2 garlic cloves, cut into thin slivers
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon oil
- fresh ground pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350f.
- With a small, sharp knife cut slits all over the lamb (top and bottom).
- Insert the slivers of garlic, and the rosemary sprigs.
- Brush the lamb with the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place on a wire rack in a baking tin and pour in 3/4 cup of water.
- Roast for about 2 hours basting often with the pan juices.
- remove from oven and cover loosely with foil.
- Allow to"rest" for about 15 minutes before carving.
- We serve with roasted vegetables, peas, gravy and mint jelly.
I tried Jan's recipe. What two better flavors are there then garlic and rosmary? Wonderful, mouth watering taste, this lamb dish is a must do.....
i made this for dinner using a 2 lb butterflied leg of lamb that was rolled and tied. this is the classic way to roast a leg of lamb, and was delicious. i cooked this in a convection oven for 1 1/4 hours because it was a small roast and it was perfect for all of us, as dh prefers his meat rarer than i.
Would you please pass the jelly? The mint jelly, that is! Jan, this recipe turned out a moist, succulent lamb which had the most pleasant flavor. I served with roasted potatoes and mint jelly as you suggested, also a broccoli casserole and egg twist dinner rolls. Thank you, Jan, for a wonderful supper tonight!