This is a dish we eat once or twice a month. For a change, you can cook sliced potatoes and sauteed onions in stock under the lamb. They get all those yummy garlicky juices dripping on to them.
- Preheat your oven to 350f.
- With a small, sharp knife cut slits all over the lamb (top and bottom).
- Insert the slivers of garlic, and the rosemary sprigs.
- Brush the lamb with the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place on a wire rack in a baking tin and pour in 3/4 cup of water.
- Roast for about 2 hours basting often with the pan juices.
- remove from oven and cover loosely with foil.
- Allow to"rest" for about 15 minutes before carving.
- We serve with roasted vegetables, peas, gravy and mint jelly.