Recipe by Blumax
Taken from "The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook" This is my favorite roast lamb recipe.
- 3 juniper berries
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 lbs leg of lamb (whole or deboned)
- 1⁄4 cup gin (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup red currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Crush juniper berries with mustard, pepper, 2 teaspoons salt and 2 teaspoon water. Spread on lamb.
- Place lamb, fat side up on rack in open roasting pan.
- Roast 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours in 325f oven. Roast until internal temperature reaches 145f for rare, 160f for medium.
- Pour pan juices into 2 cup measure: let stand until fat separates, then remove fat and discard.
- Add 1 1/4 cups water to roasting pan, cooking over medium heat, stirring to loosen bits. Add gin to liquid in cup, adding water to make 1 3/4 cups.
- In saucepan over medium heat add measured liquid, and jelly and cook until boiling, constantly stirring until jelly is melted.
- Blend cornstarch, and 1/4 cup water until ii is thickened.
- Carve lamb and serve sauce separately.