Recipe by Bergy
Fruit just seems to enhance the flavor of lamb. Wonderful aroma while it is cooking. Try this fruit stuffing with chicken or veal.
- 1 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 1 1⁄2 cups figs, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 6 lbs leg of lamb, butterflied (the weight is before removing the bone, Save the bone)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped (or 3/4 tsp dried thyme)
- 1 tablespoon sage, fresh chopped (or 1/3 tsp dried sage)
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- 2 carrots
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup dry red wine (substitute beer or grape juice)
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak currents,figs and cranberries in the boiling water for 30 minutes.
- Season the lamb with salt& pepper.
- Make a mixture of the garlic, thyme,& sage and rub all over the lamb.
- Sprinkle the inside of the leg with orange zest.
- Drain fruits, reserve liquid, and spread the fruit 1/2" thick on the inside of the leg.
- Roll the leg from the small end, jelly roll style and tie with twine.
- Heat oven to 425F degrees.
- Place lamb in a shallow roasting pan.
- Add the lamb bone,carrots, celery, fruit water,orange juice and wine.
- Cover the pan with foil roast 30 minutes lower heat to 325F, loosely leave the foil over the roast but not sealed, and roast 45-60 minutes (or until the internal temp is 155F).
- Transfer lamb to a platter.
- Remove bone from pan& skim off the fat.
- Strain theveggies from the juices and put the juices in a saucepan, simmer until it has reduced to about half.
- Serve with the sliced roast on the side.