3 hrs 15 mins
Very herby and succulent with garlic and lemon and the added bonus of "dripped-on" golden-brown potato slices. From the BBC Food program 'French Cooking at Home'. Cooking time stated is approximate as it depends on the size of the joint and your preferred 'doneness'.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 leg of lamb
- 1 garlic clove, sliced and cut into narrow slivers (1 large clove, more if cloves are small)
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, coarse ground
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup herbes de provence, dried (See note at end of directions)
- 4 -6 potatoes, sliced about 1 inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1Pre-heat oven to 500°F.
- 2Use an oven pan while you are preparing the joint (you will remove the joint from the pan when you place it in the oven).
- 3Pierce leg all over and insert slivers of garlic.
- 4Mix lemon juice, salt and pepper, and olive oil and wipe all over the joint (use your hands).
- 5Pat the herbs all over the joint forming a 'crust'.
- 6Lay potato slices in another oven pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- 7Toss around (again, using your hands is easier) to ensure the slices are well coated, and pour over the beef stock.
- 8Place uncovered joint directly onto the oven shelf/grid, with the oven pan of potates below, i.e. allowing lamb juices to drip down into the potatoes.
- 9Roast for 20 minutes, then reduce oven heat to 325°F.
- 10Total roasting time will depend on the size of the joint as follows:.
- 11Medium-rare : 20-25 minutes per pound plus an additional 20 minutes;.
- 12Well-done : 25-30 minutes per pound plus an additional 25 minutes.
- 13Notes re Herbs de Provence - a mixture of dried herbs - there is a recipe here on Zaar (Herbes De Provence); although many make their own blends, leaving out the lavendar and/or adding marjoram, for example.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Leg of Lamb - French Cooking at Home
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 353.3
- Calories from Fat 244
- Total Fat 27.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 656.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
leg of lamb
herbes de provence