1/12 Photos of Roast Leg of Lamb
2 hrs 10 mins
A simple recipe with sensational flavor! I've adopted this recipe as it didn't have a loving owner. I have made it myself though and must say it makes an impressive sunday roast! Instead of using dried rosemary, you can also use fresh sprigs and insert them into the cuts with the garlic slivers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Remove lamb from refrigerator 1 hour before roasting.
- 2Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C/Gas 6.
- 3Make small slits just large enough for garlic slivers evenly in the leg of lamb, and insert the garlic slivers.
- 4Rub all over with lemon juice, then pat the rosemary and black pepper evenly over the surface. Sprinkle with salt to taste. If you're using fresh rosemary, just insert the sprigs with the garlic slivers into the cuts you made.
- 5Place lamb, fat side up on a rack in an uncovered pan.
- 6Roast 30 minutes to a pound or until the internal temperature reaches 175-180°F, for meat well done. If you prefer slightly rare lamb, roast until 160-165°F.
- 7When done, remove from oven, cover the roast in foil and allow it to rest for 20 minutes before carving.
- 8If you also want delicious rich gravy, place a 1 1/2 cups of lamb or beef stock in the bottom of the pan before you put the lamb in the oven, making sure that the rack sits above the liquid and the meat doesn't touch it. You can also add a sprig or two of rosemary to it and if you want baste the lamb a couple of times while it's roasting. Just before serving bring the liquid to a simmer on the stove top, making sure you whisk it well and scrape all the bits from the sides and the bottom of the pan. If you want more gravy you can add some extra stock or some of the water you have cooked your vegetables inches Mix 1tbsp of cornflour with 2tbsp of water and whisk it into the stock. Simmer until thickened and you have a wonderful gravy.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Leg of Lamb
Serving Size: 1 (19 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 9.0
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 0.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
leg of lamb