Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipes sounds so good and the photo in Recipe+ magazine make look even better. Times are estimated and DO NOT included 20 minutes marinating time. They also suggest that you can replace hoisin sauce with plum sauce. You could also use 2 small twin pack chicken but cooking time will vary. For a quick gravy you could mix powdered gravy with boiling water and minced garlic cloves. If dutch carrots are not available use regular carrots and cut into quarters lenghtwise.
- 2 kg whole chickens (1.6 kilogram)
- 78.07 ml lemon juice
- 78.07 ml honey (clear)
- 29.58 ml sesame seeds
- 29.58 ml hoisin sauce
- 3 cm ginger (piece, fresh, sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 2 spring onions (scallions, coarsely chopped)
- 12 baby potatoes (small, we call them chat)
- 2 bunch baby carrots (dutch carrots, peeled and trimmed)
- 2 red onions (medium cut into wedges)
- 2 zucchini (medium, sliced lengthwise and halved crosswise)
- 2 red capsicums (medium bell peppers cut into wedges)
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil (or olive oil)
- Preheat oven to 200C (180C fan forced).
- Rinse chicken cavity under cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Trim excess fat from cavity, then tuck the wings underneath and then place chicken breast down in a large glass or ceramic bowl.
- Combine juice, honey, sesame seeds and hoisin (or plum if using) in a small bowl and whisk to combine and then pour half the mixture over the chick, cover the chicken and refrigerate for 20 minutes to marinate.
- Place chicken breast up in a large roasting pan and place ginger, garlic and spring onions inside cavity and tie legs with kitchen string.
- Roast for 45 minutes and then remove from oven and add potatoes, carrots, red onion, zucchini and capsicum and drizzle vegetables with oil and put back in the oven to continue roasting and baste the chicken occassionally with reserved marinade for 35-40 minutes or utill juices run clear when chicken thigh is pierced with a small sharp knife.
- Remove from oven and cover with foil and rest for 5 minutes.
- Portion chicken and serve with roast vegetables.
this was really good i kinda had to fight the dog for this lol, make this seriously
This is awesome!!!! Clean plates all around tonight I love the marinade which I not only basted the chicken with but heated up the remainder to pour over the chicken once plated. I made extra marinade than listed as I thought if it was good I would do this and boy am I glad that I did. I served with egg fried rice, topped with the chicken and surrounded with the roasted vegetables, it was truly delicious. The smell that filled the house whilst it was cooking was wonderful and I had to tell my hubby to go away several times as he was trying to cut some chicken off before I was ready to dish up. A wonderful chicken recipe and one that I will definitely be enjoying again. I read Pat's notes and this would be very good served with a powdered gravy which I was going to do until I started cooking it and smelt the aromas hence going with a more Asian theme with the rice and using the leftover marinade as a sauce. Excellent!!!