Prep 55 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Grouse as nice as your spouse!
- 2 (1 1/2 lb) grouse, about
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mushroom
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) cancondensed consomme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crumbled oregano
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄4 cup light cream
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- Rub grouse inside and out with salt.
- Combine onions, mushrooms, consomme, oregano, and wild rice.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until rice is tender, about 40 to 45 minutes, adding water when necessary to keep rice from sticking.
- When rice is tender, season to taste with salt.
- Stuff grouse with rice.
- Place onion, carrots, and apple in a shallow roasting pan and place grouse on top, breast side down.
- Roast in a preheated 350 F.
- oven for 30 minutes.
- Turn grouse breast side up and roast until brown and tender, about 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove grouse to a platter and keep warm.
- Strain pan juices into a saucepan.
- Stir in soup, cream, and wine.
- Simmer, stirring, until sauce bubbles.
- Spoon sauce over grouse.
- Garnish with additional cooked wild rice.