Recipe by Outta Here
This is one way Christmas dinner was prepared in Dicken's day! Adapted from YANKEE MAGAZINE. Cooking time includes about 1 1/2 hours for rice to cook and cool. (I used a wild rice blend I found in bulk) Canned chestnuts can be found in specialty stores. Make sure they are NOT packed in syrup! The original recipe did not pierce skin and fat, which I did to help "drain" off excess grease. It also said to put whole goose on serving platter and garnish with pine sprigs and sliced blood oranges, but I find it messy to try to carve at the table and dig stuffing out to serve. If you are more adventuresome, serve this way :) NOTE: 'Zaar will not let me put in "1 10-12 lb. goose" so it comes up "10 lbs. geese"
Top Review by Geirmund
I finally tried this recipe this past Christmas. It came out great! I couldn't find wild rice so I substituted with a rice medley mix. The goose was tasty and so was the stuffing. I will probably try it again next Christmas...
- 1 cup wild rice, raw
- 10 lbs goose
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons orange zest, grated
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, sliced (with leaves)
- 1⁄2 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 (17 ounce) can whole chestnuts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried sage)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
Directions See How It's Made
- Cooked wild rice according to package instructions (you should have about 4 cups cooked). Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Remove giblets from goose. Remove loose fat from around cavity openings. Discard or reserve for another use.
- Prick skin and fat with a skewer in several places, being careful not to pierce meat.
- Sprinkle goose inside and out with salt and pepper. Rub with orange zest.
- Fry bacon in a skillet until crisp. Add onion, celery and parsley and sauté 5 minutes.
- Stir in chestnuts, cooked rice and herbs. Season to taste with salt.
- Stuff goose with this mixture. "Sew" cavity shut with skewers and cotton twine. (do not stuff goose until ready to roast).
- Place goose breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast about 20 minutes per pound. (if skin begins to brown too much, cover loosely with foil.).
- Remove to cutting board and let rest 15 minutes.
- Remove stuffing to a bowl and carve goose.