Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have not tried this, but thought I'd post this for anyone thinking of making a goose for Christmas. This looks so easy! This is courtesy of the "21 Club" restaraunt in New York. From "Bon Appetit."
- Preheat oven to 500.
- Remove giblets and neck from goose.
- Remove excess fat from main cavity of goose.
- Rinse goose inside and out with cold water.
- Pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper in small bowl.
- Place goose, breast side down on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Sprinkle goose with half of herb mixture.
- Place orange and lime wedges in cavity of goose.
- Turn goose so that breast side is up.
- Sprinkle remaining herbs over goose.
- Roast goose 1 hour.
- Turn off oven (do not open oven door) and let goose stand in oven 45 minutes (thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh will register 180.) Remove goose from oven; cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
This is a great recipe for a person preparing a goose for the first time, which I was! I used a wild, Canadian goose that a hunter gave us. The meat was very tender with this method of cooking. However, I think I'm going to make a glaze and pour it over the goose next time. Thanks for posting!