Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Great whole duck recipe for the holidays using Maple Leaf Farms Duck. Garnish this beautiful bird with fresh herbs.
- 1 whole duck, from maple leaf farms defrosted, giblets removed
- salt and pepper, To Taste
- 10 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Remove (thawed) duck from bag and rinse under cold water.
- Generously season duck cavity and skin with salt and pepper. Tie legs together with string.
- Roast duck, breast side up, for 20 minutes. Remove duck from oven.
- Rake skin numerous times with a sharp meat fork being careful not to pierce meat; return to oven. Continue to roast for 1 hour and 10 minutes. While roasting, frequently baste duck with juices from bottom of roasting pan.
- While duck is roasting, combine 10 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, honey and pepper in small saucepan. Over high heat, bring to a boil. Boil until mixture starts to thicken. Stir constantly until mixture is very thick and reduced to about 3 tablespoons. Remove from heat; add remaining balsamic and red wine vinegar. Keep warm until duck is cooked. (If glaze cools and becomes too thick, warm over low heat, stirring constantly.).
- When duck is cooked, remove from oven and dry skin with paper towels. Brush duck with a thick coat of warm glaze; place in oven for 1 minute. Remove from oven and serve immediately. Garnish with fresh herbs.
A lovely simple way to cook our duck tonight. I'm not sure why I needed the two teaspoons of balsamic extra, so I just added it in to the other amount. We eat lots of duck and this was a god one-thanks for posting!