Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I found this recipe on the internet and modified it slightly. This is the best roast duck recipe I have made so far. The combination of seasonings goes very well with the duck and the l'orange sauce. I used the skin, bones and drippings to make a soup base that was out-of-this-world good!
For the duck
- 1 duck
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 large granny smith apple
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon light olive oil
- 4 tablespoons spicy mango chutney
- 2 tablespoons peach preserves
- 1 orange, juice of
- 3 tablespoons of duck drippings, from pan
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- Sprinkle chili powder, garlic powder, and salt all over ducks.
- Cut 1-inch slice in skin of ducks on both sides of breasts.
- Puree garlic, sage and olive oil and fill in slices in skin with mixture.
- Chop apple into 1-inch pieces and stuff inside ducks.
- Bake at 350*F (175*C) for 1 hour 30 minutes for a slightly rare duck, or 2 hours for a well done duck.
- Put the ingredients for the L'Orange sauce in saucepan and heat until alcohol simmers off, about 6 minutes.
- Serve L'Orange sauce over sliced duck breasts or other parts.
- Makes about 1 cup.
This was a great recipe. My duck was 5.5 lbs. and thawed, and it took about 2 hours to cook. I did double the sauce, as others suggested, and I let it thicken quite a bit, so it's a good thing I doubled it. I didn't have orange juice, so I substituted the orange sauce packet that came with my duck, and the sauce was delicious. Otherwise, other than putting a ton more garlic in, I followed the recipe exactly. I also brined the duck for about 2 hours before I cooked it, and the end result was a very moist inside and a crispy outside. It was great. Definitely an easy, tasty duck recipe. Thanks!
Whoops! I hadn't realized I hadn't made a review! We made this for Thanksgiving. It was excellent. No changes were made at all. This is the 3rd time I've made duck for the holiday, and we didn't miss the boring turkey at all.. :) Thanks for a great duck recipe!
great duck recipe , sauce is very tasty