5 hrs 5 mins
I've adapted this from several recipes and think it is just wonderful. I absolutely love duck and make it now & then for a special treat... You can usually find one at Albertson's. Most places around here only cary them around Christmas which is an absolute crime... If you think duck is too greasy I think this recipe will change your mind. The simple fix is to use a roasting rack! All the 'grease' drips off as it cooks... The result is so tender and flavorful, I hope you'll try!
My Private Note
roast d ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 210.
- 2Soften butter then blend in spices and return to fridge until firm. You can go the lazy route & substitute 2 tbsp McCormick's French Roasting Rub for the spices if you like - an equally enticing blend.
- 3Remove & set aside orange sauce packet (comes in duck cavity), you'll use this later.
- 4Pat duck dry & place breast up in roasting pan.
- 5Slather duck with butter mixture & pop in the oven. Roast until juices from thigh joint run clear. This will take a while. Baste with juices from bottom of pan when you think about it. The aroma will fill your home & drive everyone crazy ~ it's the longest 4 or 5 hours you'll ever endure as this smells SO GOOD --
- 6The cool thing about the butter paste is that it will not melt off your duck as regular pats of butter would.
- 7If you'd like a little extra flavor heat the orange sauce packet in some boiling water & use as a dipping sauce.
- 8If there's any duck left (I seriously doubt this) you can add to a nice salad next day for lunch.
Browse Our Top Whole Duck Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Duck Ala Babychops
Serving Size: 1 (376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1690.2
- Calories from Fat 1537
- Total Fat 170.8 g
- Saturated Fat 71.1 g
- Cholesterol 362.9 mg
- Sodium 963.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 36.9 g