Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I've adapted this from several recipes and think it is just wonderful. I absolutely love duck and make it now & then for a special treat... You can usually find one at Albertson's. Most places around here only cary them around Christmas which is an absolute crime... If you think duck is too greasy I think this recipe will change your mind. The simple fix is to use a roasting rack! All the 'grease' drips off as it cooks... The result is so tender and flavorful, I hope you'll try!
- Preheat oven to 210.
- Soften butter then blend in spices and return to fridge until firm. You can go the lazy route & substitute 2 tbsp McCormick's French Roasting Rub for the spices if you like - an equally enticing blend.
- Remove & set aside orange sauce packet (comes in duck cavity), you'll use this later.
- Pat duck dry & place breast up in roasting pan.
- Slather duck with butter mixture & pop in the oven. Roast until juices from thigh joint run clear. This will take a while. Baste with juices from bottom of pan when you think about it. The aroma will fill your home & drive everyone crazy ~ it's the longest 4 or 5 hours you'll ever endure as this smells SO GOOD --
- The cool thing about the butter paste is that it will not melt off your duck as regular pats of butter would.
- If you'd like a little extra flavor heat the orange sauce packet in some boiling water & use as a dipping sauce.
- If there's any duck left (I seriously doubt this) you can add to a nice salad next day for lunch.