Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mashed sweet potatoes and sautéed green beans make colorful companions. Key lime pie is a refreshing way to wrap up. Taken from Top 20 quick and easy from 2000. I added the brining step to suit my tastes.
- 1⁄2 cup kosher salt, for brine
- 3⁄4 cup fruit salsa, bottled
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 3⁄4 lbs Cornish hens, split in half along backbone
- Mix kosher salt with 2 cups water to make brine.
- Split hens, remove backbone, and soak in brine for 2 hours or as long as possible.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Rinse hens well with cold water.
- Mix first salsa, thyme and pepper sauce ingredients in medium bowl.
- Transfer 3 tablespoons salsa mixture to small bowl and stir in oil and allspice.
- Place hen halves on rack set on baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper; brush with oil mixture.
- Roast until juices run clear when thigh is pierced, about 25-30 minutes.
- Transfer hen halves to plates.
- Spoon remaining salsa mixture on top.