Recipe by Witch Doctor
Don't remember where I got this recipe, but I have tried it many times and it is delicious! This is a recipe for one. Combine this with some Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Romaine with Parmesan Dressing, and a Raspberry Crème Fraiche Puff and you have yourself a complete dinner for one!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh Cornish hens (or frozen)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion-flavored croutons
- 2 tablespoons dried fruit
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise or 1 tablespoon salad dressing
- 1⁄8 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw hen, if frozen. Rinse hen with cold water and pat dry. For stuffing, in a small saucepan combine water and margarine or butter; cook until margarine melts. Remove from heat. Stir in croutons, fruit bits, onion, and bouillon granules.
- Spoon stuffing into body cavity. Combine mayonnaise and poultry seasoning; coat hen with mayonnaise mixture.
- Place hen, breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, in a 375 degree F oven for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until drumstick moves easily in socket.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine cranberries, brown sugar, and orange juice concentrate. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 3 to 5 minutes or until cranberry skins pop.
- Serve with cranberry sauce, if desired.