Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This simple yet flavourful recipe is from Claudia Roden's cookbook, "Arabesque: A Taste of Morocco, Turkey and Lebanon". It also plates beautifully. Serve with Claudia Roden's Basic Couscous or a salad.
- 4 cod fish fillets (also works with skinless) or 4 halibut fillets, skin left on (also works with skinless)
- 1 lb new potato
- 1⁄2 lb tomatoes
- extra virgin olive oil
chermoula marinade and sauce
- 2⁄3 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Slash the skin of the fish in a few places across the thickest part. This ensures that the fish does not curl, and cooks evenly. Sprinkle with salt.
- Mix all the chermoula ingredients in a dish, and marinate the fish in half the quantity for about 30 minutes.
- Slice the potatoes about 1/4 inch thick, and the tomatoes about 1/3 inch thick. Drizzle a bit of olive oil into a baking dish, put in the potatoes and tomatoes, and drizzle a bit more oil on top. Sprinkle with salt, then turn the vegetables so they are well seasoned and lightly coated with oil. Put the dish in a preheated 475ËšF oven for 50 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Turn the vegetables over once during cooking.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and place the cod fillets (skin up) on top; place the dish back in the oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes more, or until fish is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork.
- Just before serving, pour the remaining half of the chermoula over the fish, letting it dribble onto the vegetables.