Recipe by Leggy Peggy
This dark, flavourful chilli sauce is a good accompaniment for rich Thai dishes. It is from David Thompson's authoritative book, Thai Food. Yield and prep and cooking times are approximate. Posted to serve with Chiang Mai Curried Noodle and Chicken Soup (Kao Soi Gai), which was requested in the Asian Forum.
- peanut oil (for frying)
- 3 red shallots, trimmed and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 4 -10 dried chilies (bird's eye)
- 2 pinches salt (large)
- 1 pinch palm sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a small saucepan.
- Deep-fry the shallots and garlic until golden. Remove and drain.
- Deep-fry the chillies. Remove and drain.
- Using a mortar and pestle, pound shallots, garlic and chillies into a coarse paste.
- Season with salt and sugar (if used), and thin with some of the deep-frying oil.
- The sauce should taste hot and salty.