Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Chicken will never taste the same once you try this roast chicken prepared with yogurt and turmeric sauce.
- 1 1⁄2-2 kg chicken
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup cream
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 tablespoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Wash and pat dry chicken.
- Prick the skin with a fork.
- Rub it with a mixture of pepper and ground ginger.
- With string, tie legs and tail of chicken.
- Place chicken breast side-up on rack in open roasting pan.
- Roast at 180°C for 10 minutes.
- Heat sauce in a pan over medium heat.
- Brush skin with sauce.
- Roast the chicken for about 1 1/2 hours, basting frequently with sauce.
- Keep the sauce warm while basting.
- Place the chicken on a heated platter, arrange rice or bread stuffing around it if you desire.
- Mix some dripping from the roasting pan with yogurt sauce and pour some over the chicken.
- Serve the remaining sauce separately.
This was pretty good. The sauce made with the drippings made the dish.
This was good, simple. My kids, who hate onions, didn't mind the sauce too much. I thought it was a refreshing change of pace, though the bright yellow color did throw me off a bit--I'm obviously not used to cooking with turmeric! I had plenty of sauce, even though my chicken was almost 7 lbs. Of course mine took longer to cook, and the aroma was driving us nuts! Dh didn't care for the sauce--not enough "punch" for him, perhaps.
Wonderful - thank you! Followed the recipe as written, including basting it loads of times! It was worth it - the chicken was the most moist I've ever roasted!