Recipe by Gaelige Coinnaigh
This recipe is sooo good!!! Add more mushrooms if you're a big mushroom freak like me!
- 4 chicken breasts, bone-in with skin
- 1 cup white navy beans, presoaked (overnight is best)
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and cut in 1/4 in. dice
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch dice
- 12 white pearl onions, peeled
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 12 button mushrooms, washed
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°F In skillet over medium heat, heat 1/4 cup of oil. Season the chicken well, on both sides, w/ salt n’ pepper and place in pan skin down. Brown evenly and turn over and sear flesh side. Place skillet in oven and cook chicken until done (about 12 to 14 minutes). Set aside and keep warm.
- For White Bean Ragout:
- Strain water from presoaked beans. In a medium pot, add beans, crushed garlic, 1 sprig of rosemary, 1 sprig of thyme, bay leaf and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until beans are almost tender, about 20 minutes. Add the onion, carrots and mushrooms and cook until veggies are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. When veggies and beans are tender, remove from heat. Strain off cooking liquid and reserve it.
- To finish, take 4 cups of the liquid and place in small pot, whisk in 2 Tbsp of butter and season with salt n’ pepper. Finely chop remaining 2 sprigs of rosemary and 2 sprigs of thyme, and add the chopped herbs to cooking liquid.
- In 4 large bowls add 1/2 cup of cooking liquid in each bowl. Place a small amount of the bean and mushroom mixture in the center of the bowl. Finally, place the chicken breast atop the white bean mixture.