Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This one is easy on the cook.....and special enough for Company!!
Make and share this Roast Chicken With Vegetables recipe from Food.com.
- Remove giblets from chicken& discard (or use to make giblet gravy).
- Place chickens into a large shallow roasting pan.
- Tuck onions into cavity; squeeze lemon over chicken& tuck into cavity.
- Peel& seed squash; cut into 2 inch cubes.
- Peel carrots& cut into 2 inch rings.
- Peel& quarter potatoes.
- Scatter these vegetables around the chickens.
- Pour broth over top of everything.
- Bake in the center of a preheated 350F oven for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice off dark green portions of leeks, leaving the pale green& white portion intact& slice in half lengthwise.
- To wash away the sand, fan the layers under cold running water.
- Seed peppers& cut into cubes.
- Remove chicken from oven, stir vegetables& baste the chicken.
- Scatter leeks& peppers around the chicken and sprinkle with salt& pepper.
- Continue roasting, basting 2 or 3 more times, for another 35 to 45 minutes.
- Remove chickens to a large platter; remove lemon& onions from cavity& discard.
- Pile roasted vegetables around the chickens& serve.
hey, this was the first time I was trying to roast a chicken and the recipe was awesome. But since I am Indian, I spiced up the chicken a bit. I made a paste of lemon juice, one tsp chilli powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, salt and pepper and rubbed it into the chicken before roasting. But that was my personal choice. I followed the rest of the recipe as it is and my family just loved it, specially because of the large amount of veggies. Thank you CountryLady for the lovely recipe....
Made this today for Sunday Lunch with one larger chicken. Didn't have chicken broth so used stock ( 2 cups) instead. Really tasty and moist chicken achieved without the butter I usually use. I would do this again - in fact I suspect I will always cook my chicken this way. Thanks a lot a good find and addition to my repetoire as a " comfort food" cook. Sheila ( hailing from the UK)
Oh man was this good!, I made pretty much exactly as stated only I increased the veggies, What a wonderful Sunday dinner, thank you once again...Kitten:)