Recipe by CountryLady
This one is easy on the cook.....and special enough for Company!!
Top Review by naaz
hey, this was the first time I was trying to roast a chicken and the recipe was awesome. But since I am Indian, I spiced up the chicken a bit. I made a paste of lemon juice, one tsp chilli powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, salt and pepper and rubbed it into the chicken before roasting. But that was my personal choice. I followed the rest of the recipe as it is and my family just loved it, specially because of the large amount of veggies. Thank you CountryLady for the lovely recipe....
- 2 small roasting chicken (each about 2 1/2 lbs)
- 1 large onion, cut into quarters
- 1 large lemon, cut into quarters
- 1 small acorn squash
- 3 -4 carrots
- 3 -4 potatoes
- 1⁄2-1 cup chicken broth
- 4 thin leeks (or 2 thick)
- 2 -3 sweet red peppers
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove giblets from chicken& discard (or use to make giblet gravy).
- Place chickens into a large shallow roasting pan.
- Tuck onions into cavity; squeeze lemon over chicken& tuck into cavity.
- Peel& seed squash; cut into 2 inch cubes.
- Peel carrots& cut into 2 inch rings.
- Peel& quarter potatoes.
- Scatter these vegetables around the chickens.
- Pour broth over top of everything.
- Bake in the center of a preheated 350F oven for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice off dark green portions of leeks, leaving the pale green& white portion intact& slice in half lengthwise.
- To wash away the sand, fan the layers under cold running water.
- Seed peppers& cut into cubes.
- Remove chicken from oven, stir vegetables& baste the chicken.
- Scatter leeks& peppers around the chicken and sprinkle with salt& pepper.
- Continue roasting, basting 2 or 3 more times, for another 35 to 45 minutes.
- Remove chickens to a large platter; remove lemon& onions from cavity& discard.
- Pile roasted vegetables around the chickens& serve.